Vapi (IAST: vāpī,pronunciation), is a city and municipality in Valsad district in the state of Gujarat. It is situated near the banks of the Damanganga River, around 28 km south of the district headquarters in the city of Valsad, and it is surrounded by the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu. The town originally belonged to the Kshatriya Jagirdar family Palande during the Maratha empire, who now resides in Dungra. After independence from the British Crown in 1951, the jagirdar system was abolished by the Indian government and the community of Anavil Brahmin who formerly acted as tax farmers during the era of the Maratha empire received the land. It is believed that city got its name from the old small stepwell situated near the balitha area. The meaning of vapi (वापी) in sanskrit is a water reservoir or a water storage body.