Burntwood is a former mining town and civil parish in the Lichfield District in Staffordshire, England, approximately 4 mi west of Lichfield and north east of Brownhills. The town had a population of 26,049 and forms part of Lichfield district. The town forms one of the largest urbanised parishes in England. Samuel Johnson opened an academy in nearby Edial in 1736. The town is home to the smallest park (opened to commemorate the marriage of the Prince of Wales in 1863) in the UK, Prince's Park, which is located next to Christ Church on the junction of Farewell Lane and Church Road. The town expanded in the nineteenth century around the coal mining industry.