We are looking for two Software Engineers (one senior and one junior-mid) to join our team in Melbourne. As a Software Engineer, you’ll work within our cross-functional product engineering teams on a wide variety of projects across customer acquisition, engagement, conversion, data coverage and content. You need to have a product and user mindset and work across the full software stack. We prioritise our work based on user needs and the value we can provide.
Things you may work on could include
- Optimise the accuracy and speed of our search algorithm covering billions of potential origin/destination search pairs
- Improve and experiment on the core user experience of Rome2rio on desktop, mobile and tablet devices
- Create more contextually relevant components based on our travellers’ needs
- Integrate new train, bus, hotel, rental car and attraction data from APIs and data feeds
- Build tools for our content team to add and maintain data in our system
- Improve the accuracy of estimated fares displayed on the site
- Develop interfaces for user accounts, bookings, history, saving and sharing itineraries etc
- Optimise our tooling, weighting algorithms and pages to support 100s of millions of SEO/SEM origin/destination pairs
- A/B test changes and measure the impact to the site’s design and functionality
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for somebody with a Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory. Experience with a breadth of programming languages, a broad toolkit, the ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and a “get stuff done” attitude are important to us. Our codebase is predominantly C#, TypeScript and React, however you do not need to be a C# or React expert; you just need to be the type of engineer that wants to quickly learn new languages and can work within an existing codebase.
Skills we’re interested in
- Experience in HTML & CSS
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Experience in or willingness to mentor team members, review code and contribute to improving engineering practices
- Experience working with SQL/NoSQL data stores and cloud services from one of AWS/GCP/Azure
Nice to have
- Experience with C# and TypeScript
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases on highly trafficked web applications
- Experience in conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments
Rome2rio encourages you to apply even if you’re still developing some of these skills!
We value diversity and welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.
If you are interested, let us know! Apply here