Rome2rio has a vision to be the world’s trusted companion for planning travel. As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new and exciting ways.
Currently, we have an average user base of ~40mn visitors/month coming to us from across the globe. Users engage with Rome2rio to find the option they want to travel with, book their tickets, and book their accommodation.
Our mission for 2025 is to help users move away from the pain of using many different tools and to make it easier for them to plan, book and share their complete trip.
To help us on this journey we are looking for a Front End Developer (mid level) to join our growing team in Melbourne.
About the Front End Dev role at Rome2rio
In this team, we collaborate and own the product outcomes together, we strive to improve the APIs, websites and the way we work, constantly. We have data scientists, software engineers, designers and product managers all working together.
We take ownership of what we do and how we do it. We have a career framework and help you progress and you can try work in different teams, making different parts of the product better.
We believe talented developers are ever inquisitive, learning new tricks with CSS, JS frameworks and TypeScript. We love working with developers who know that coding is a team sport and that it’s OK to make mistakes as long as we fix them and learn from them, that’s part of being inquisitive.
Impact you will make
- Build a user experience that helps people explore travel options, plan travel and then book the trip.
- Work on improvements to the UX, that we can measure with analytics and other means, so we can have confidence we are helping more people.
- Continuously learn from what we do and improve how we work, so we can try more ideas and create a better product sooner.
A bit about you
- Fundamentally, we are looking for people who are able to learn as they go and can be open to respectfully discussing ideas from their teammates whether it agrees or is different from their own.
- You see the bigger picture of the user journey and put yourself in the users’ shoes and have a passion for making things clear, simple and accessible.
It’s great if you bring, or would like to improve on
- A good understanding of CSS, responsive design and accessibility standards.
- React, React Hooks
- Understand of and interest in TypeScript
- Functional programming in React and pure functions for operating on data structures.
- A desire and experience in sharing what you know.
Rome2rio encourages you to apply even if you are still working on some of these skills.
Rome2rio values diversity and inclusion. We welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- Paid parental leave of 10 weeks for primary carers and 4 weeks for secondary carers
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights. As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.
If you are interested, let us know! Apply here.