As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new ways. We are adding to our product to provide a more complete, connected and contextually relevant experience, and have big plans to become the world’s trusted companion for planning travel!
What we can do for you
As an Engineering Manager you will join our Tech Leadership team in Melbourne. Leading a team of engineers, you’ll focus on a range of engineering projects that make Rome2rio successful.
This technical leadership opportunity will see you working with an engaged cross-functional team that is passionate about our product. You will have space to work with autonomy while influencing the direction of our product. In addition, you’ll have flexibility when and where you work, focus on outcomes over output, and an environment where your input is valued.
Your key responsibilities will be
- Leading a team of 4-6 engineers focused on helping our users plan, book and share their complete trip
- Owning delivery, quality and performance of the relevant part of the code base
- Working closely with Product, UX and Data Science teams to prioritise the outcomes to focus on
- Coach and mentor individual team members
- Play a key role in the technical decision making for the company as part of the tech leadership team
Rome2rio encourages you to apply even if you’re still developing some of these skills!
We value diversity and welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for somebody who has a real passion for software engineering, including the “craft” of the engineer, quality and performance of highly available, highly trafficked web services.
Your passion and broad knowledge for engineering practices, innovative mindset and experience working across a tech stack, including strategy, execution, continuous deployment and support. We value people who are platform agnostic and are willing to work in any software environment.
A coaching and collaborative mindset where you’ll work closely with your team and other teams at Rome2rio to build the best solutions for our users.
Skills and requirements
- Passionate about leading people and helping them move forward in their careers
- Experience using data to lead decision making
- Empathy for our users, ability to inspire the team to solve problems our users face
- Excellent problem-solving and influencing skills
- Willingness to learn on the job
- Experience or willingness to work in a team, coach & mentor team members, review code and contribute to the implementation of good engineering practices
- Computer Science or Software Engineering background. Bachelor or higher degree is preferred, but not mandatory.
It would be great if you brought experience or a willingness to learn the following:
- Have existing people leadership skills or are at the point in your career to take on line management
- Experience with C# and TypeScript
- Experience working with and maintaining large codebases on highly trafficked web applications
- Experience in conceiving, developing and testing hypotheses in A/B testing environments