As the world starts to travel again, particularly in our core markets of Europe and the US, we know that global travel demand will take off in new ways. We are adding to our product to provide a more complete, connected and contextually relevant experience, and have big plans to become the world’s trusted companion for planning travel!
About the Data Analyst role
We are looking for a Data Analyst to join our Data Science team in Melbourne. You’ll be working with a team of experienced Data Scientists and Data Engineers, with a specific focus on analysis and communication. Rome2rio is structured around cross-functional pods, each with ownership of a specific user outcome such as user acquisition, engagement and conversion. The data science team maintains centralized data accessibility through a “single source-of-truth” data lake hosted in Google BigQuery. Your main responsibility is to act as the bridge between this data and the stakeholders and domain experts that utilize it in data-driven decision-making.
Things you may work on include
- Understanding the data generated across web-based products and apps by an international consumer travel business
- Working closely with stakeholders and domain experts to define and articulate the objectives and scope of data analyses
- Supporting data-driven decision making through synthesis and statistical analysis of existing data
- Writing SQL queries and building dashboards to enable self-service analytics by data-literate stakeholders
- Carrying out “deep dives” to gain insight into specific questions, and summarizing and communicating findings to stakeholders
- Influencing decision making by identifying trends and patterns in data and using it to help stakeholders prioritize hypotheses to be tested
- Documenting data accessibility issues, and working with the data science team to prioritize their resolution
- Collecting and articulating requirements for new data models to support data-driven decision-making
- Communicating and sharing information with all levels of the business through dashboards, reports and presentations
Who we’re looking for
- 2+ years experience in a similar role
- Experience working with data via SQL, through BigQuery or similar analytics database
- Experience with designing, implementing and maintaining dashboards in Google Data Studio, Tableau or similar Business Intelligence tools
Skills we’re interested in
- Experience with articulating product questions, pulling relevant data, conducting analysis to arrive at an answer and communicating findings to key stakeholders
- Demonstrable oral and written communication skills
- A natural curiosity and affinity for working with data
- An enthusiasm to work closely with non-technical stakeholders in finance, marketing, product, engineering and commercialization (not all at the same time!)
Nice to have
- A background in statistics or quantitative analysis
- Experience with interacting with Google Analytics 360 data via BigQuery
- Experience with the travel industry
We value diversity and welcome all applicants regardless of ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability.
Alongside building a great consumer focused product, working with a talented team and an attractive salary, Rome2rio offers a suite of additional benefits including:
- Five weeks annual leave
- A biennial travel fund of $2000 towards international and domestic flights
- A biennial ground transport fund of $1000 for transit expenses outside of Melbourne
- A generous annual learning & development budget of $3000
- 10 weeks paid maternity leave and 20 days paid dad & partner leave
- A yearly health and wellness benefit
- A hybrid working model where you can choose to work from home or our office most days, along with a $500 contribution towards your home workstation set up
- A casual, creative and social loft-style warehouse space in Richmond where the team meets for scheduled activities and collaborative work, celebrations and lunches together
- We work flexibly to let life happen, we rely on great communication and focus on outcomes and engaging work over time on the clock.
As we meet in person from time to time, you need to be based in Victoria, Australia. To be considered for this role you must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have full Australian working rights. As part of our flexible approach, we’d be open to discussing part time options.